ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034551068

From: Bud Swendner <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Occupations- Cigar Makers
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 16:17:48 -0700

Hi LIST ....

I've noted mention of "Cigar Makers" and the various responses and
I'd like to offer MY experience related to this "TRADE".
Around the turn of the Century (± 1890's-1900's), un-skilled
emigrants would look for employment in almost any trade that would
employ them. Understand that the Job Description in those years were NOT
as we would envision them today. My paternal Grandfather worked for
several different Companies as an ENGINEER. In researching this
description, I have come to find that THIS job was to shovel coal to
feed the boilers for the generation of electric power (a common means of
generating electric at that time !!).
His children (my Father included) were employed at a VERY YOUNG AGE
(read ± 12 to 14) at a local Cigar Shop as "Cigar Makers". My Father
noted that one of his older brothers was paid MORE for the application
of the outside Leaf !! I guess that there are other cases in which a
"Job Description" can have SEVERAL interpretations and
applications ..... the above is ONLY my experience !!

Bud Swendner
< >

This thread: