ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034613288

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Edwards, mayne Squire , Alabama
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 12:34:48 EDT

Does anyone know of an Edwards, maybe Squire Edwards?

My great grandmother adopted daughter, was name was Princess born in
1888 in Kentucky. The 1900 Census shows her in school and living with my
relatives. They were living in Vinegar Bend ,Alabama, Washingotn County.

Stories go that as a young lady she married an older man named Squire
Edwards, who had another wife and a daughter about the same age as
Princess Waldrop. The Edwards lived in Escatawpa.

My Aunt Louise Waldrop Jorgensen, knew some of the Edwards who lived
in Escatawpa. Aunt Louise was born in 1905 and died in 2001. She remembered
quite a few of the families in Vinegar Bend and Escatawpa.

Aunt Louise talked about her Aunt Mary Ellen McIIwain who married James
Monroe Baxter her great uncle, son of J. W. and Chairity Williford Baxter.
Who lived in Vinegar Bend and Escatawpa.

Shep Baxter who used to run the Vinegar Bend Post Office before J. D,
Davidson. Shepard Lawrence Baxter was the son on Mary Ellen McIIwain and
James Monroe Baxter. He donated the Escatawpa Baptist Church the large
Bell that sits at the front door of the Church on the Left in Escatawpa ,
Alabama, Washington County.

James Monroe Baxter built the first saw mill in Vinegar Bend, Alabama and
in 1887 he sold it to the Turners. Racilla Gertrude Baxter married John Tyler
Turner, their son was Tyler Monroe Turner.

Other relatives were Deas, Coopers, Willifords, Buckaloos, Masters, Waldrop,
Woulards, McQuires, Lopers, Dearmons, Pratts, Longs.

Two Ellas McQuires married two Loper cousins, who lived in Loper, Alabama.
One Ella belonged to Dicey Woulard Lofton McQuire( my great grandmother's
sister).
The other Ella McQuire belonged to Ann McQurie Woulard who was married
to my gr gr uncle Benjamin F. Woulard, Jr. Born about 1842, He was
my gr grandmother's brother. My Grandmother who was married to
William Young Moss, Potolmey Buckaloo, and Masters. Her Buckaloo
children were Oliver Buckaloo and Dora Buckaloo, who marred Swan Johnson.
Strory goes she was on a drug and she took her life..,,,story goes when
they found her there were baby cloths laying beside the water. This is how
the story goes.

If anyone has any information about Squire Edwards I would love to enter
the story about him and Princess or take it out if it is not true.
I do not like to enter by assuming...it will throw the whole line off.

Thanks again.

Sandra
Maiden name Waldrop

This thread: