ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034653274

From: Debbie <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Teamster
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:41:14 -0400

On Monday, October 14, 2002, at 11:03 PM,
wrote:

A teamster was someone who managed teams of horses, oxen, etc. (hence
"teamster"). We who didn't live in the age before the automobile, and
who may never have been around these animals, might not understand how
powerful just one of them is, then multiplied by the number in the team,
all harnessed together. Or how easily horses tend to get spooked.
Teamsters were also hired by manufacturers, millers, etc. to take their
wares safely to market. Many people back then learned the hard way that
managing teams of animals was best left to the professional teamster.

> #13 Teamsters? []

> Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:05:21 EDT
> Subject: Teamsters?
>
> Hi all,
> Okay,I know I'm showing my youth and ingnorance here, but can
> anybody here
> tell me exactly what a teamster is? Specifically as an occupation in
> 1900?
> Thanks so much,
> Trisha

This thread: