ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034737947

From: nancy hatcher <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] New & Improved IGI on Familysearch.Org
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:12:27 -0700 (PDT)

Received this today from another list I belong to, thought I'd pass along
for all to see.

Nancy

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 8:42 AM
Subject: NEW & IMPROVED IGI ON FAMILYSEARCH.ORG!

Dear Listers....

I only subscribe to 3 mailing lists, so if you subscribe to others in
addition to one of the above, please pass this important information
along:

You may have recently noticed the familysearch.org site was having some
frustrating problems these past 3 weeks. Well, there's a very good reason
why and I'm sure you'll be very happy to hear it! I currently serve as a
family history consultant for the LDS Church and here is the memo (in part)
we received about the recent changes that took place on the site.

"A new version of the International Genealogy Index (IGI) is now available
on www.familysearch.org, the LDS Church's Family Search Internet Site. This
new version contains the following enhancements:

--Additional Names - More names have been added to the index. These names
were received since the last release in January 2000. (Reminder that this
does not mean the database is complete. They are still playing catch-up on
some records, so keep checking back).

--Regular updates - The index will be updated regularly as new information
is received. No longer will the wait be the usual 3 years for an update.
Note: For those individuals you know you do not have Internet access and
visit a local LDS Family History Center to review the IGI, etc., please let
them know that the Internet's version of the IGI will be more updated than
the Centers will. Not all centers have Internet access and still rely on
the typical 3-year updates for their information.

--Individuals linked as families - Some names are linked into families and
can be displayed on family group records and pedigree charts (previously
offered only in the Ancestral File). The number of linked individuals is
relative small, but is expected to grow significantly in the future. You
can also download family group records and pedigree charts.

--Additional Event Information - All events that were in original user
submissions are now displayed and can be used as search criteria.

--Improved searching - You can now search the index by given name, surname
and state, and more types of events, even across regions. The processes
used to find individuals in spite of spelling and other differences in the
name have also been improved.

--Information to describe the source - When you display an individual's
records, you will see messages that describe the source of information.
Also, the batch number and film number searches have been simplified."

FOR LDS MEMBERS ONLY...

--Ordinance information soon to be available - Members of the Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will soon be able to view ordinance
records in the IGI on the familysearch.org Web site. This service will
entail a special registration process which will require certain membership
information to gain access to this sacred data. Watch for ward and stake
announcements about this in the next few weeks. I know what the
requirements are, but have chosen not to publicize it here to do my part in
protecting these holy records.

Well, that's it! Enjoy the new and improved familysearch.org and happy
hunting!

Regi
REGI MILAN
Orem, Utah

My genealogy can be viewed on Rootsweb.com's World Connect Project at:
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=rmilan

"Remember, sometimes you have to reach a bit to grab on to that right
branch."

This thread: