ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034813886

From: "Kathryn Kyle Huser" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Flat Dumplings.
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 19:18:06 -0500

The ingredients for making rolled (flat) dumplings are very similar to the ingredients for good biscuits. I have discovered that if I want to get rave reviews from my family, all I have to do is start with a can of the best brand of buttermilk biscuits. I roll these biscuits, one at a time, on a WELL flowered board, turning and rolling and turning again (add more flour as you need it) until they are at least as large as a salad plate. (My mother-in-law who made better dumplings than anyone said that unless you could read the newsprint through them, they were too thick.) Of course this was a bit of an exaggeration, but you do want to roll them thin. Using a sharp knife I cut through the dough twice vertically and twice horizontally (looks like you were getting ready to play "jacks") to make 9 pieces. Stack these on wax paper on a cookie sheet until all the biscuits are used. Now drop them one at a time into rapidly boiling well seasoned chicken broth and cook only unt!
il they are tender. Stir through occasionally to keep them from sticking but do not tear up the dumplings. Carefully lift them out into a serving dish and add some freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!

Kathryn Kyle Huser

This thread: