ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034835094

From: "H. Spencer Byfield" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: WW 1 draft cards/ Pa.
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 02:11:34 -0400

At 10:31 PM 10/16/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:37:35 -0400
>From: "The Hobe's" <>
>Subject: WW 1 draft cards/ Pa.
>
>Does anyone know where I can access my Grandfather's draft card, since he
>was born in 1886, he had to register in June 1917. I have found some Pa
>cards, but not for Philadelphia. Many thanks for any help getting me in the
>right direction. Carolyn

The original cards are held at National Archives SE regional Office in East
Point, Georgia. In addition the cards have been microfilmed and are
available through your local FHC or National Archives regional office.

For Philadelphia, and other populous cities, it is imperative that you know
which draft board your ancestor registered with. If you know the address at
which your grandfather resided in 1917 and can determine in which ward that
address was located, you will be able to use the National Archives
microfilm _Boundary Maps of Selected Cities and Counties of World War I
Selective Service Draft Registration Boards, 1917-18_ to locate the local
board.

Regards,
Harry

_