ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1034958762

From: "Charlotte M. Maness" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] MISSOURI, Jefferson Co., BIRTHS & etc.
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:32:42 -0600

Hello again everyone, the 2nd part of my "pearls" for the day. Enjoy.
Charlotte

Part II

Jefferson Democrat
Hillsboro, Jefferson, Missouri

WEDNESDAY, 17 AUGUST 1887

The lady, who suicided at DeSoto last week, was Mrs. John SCHREIBER,
daughter of Mr. Green McKEE. She had been in bad health a long time,
partially paralyzed, but whether or not she took the dose of rough on
rats with suicidal intent is not known. Dr. MOCKBEE held an inquest,
but nothing was developed further than that she administered the dose to
herself. Dr. KEANEY was called in after her condition was ascertained
and administered an emetic, but was too late to save her life.

Miss Phillpeina SCHWENK, who died on the 1st inst., at her home east of
DeSoto, was a young lady beloved by all who knew her for her kind and
gentle ways. Her friends have lost a kind companion, and her family a
dutiful daughter and affectionate sister. She had been sick nearly a
year, but bore her sufferings meekly and with patience till death
relieved her.

Mrs. F.A. PEDLEY, of Hematite, died last Friday morning, aged 37. Mrs.
PEDLEY came to this county from New York in 1856, and was married
shortly afterwards to F.A. PEDLEY, of the same state. She was deserted
by her husband some years and had lately instituted proceedings for
divorce, her eldest the wife of Mr. FUNK. She was an estimable lady and
highly respected. (This article is copied here as it was printed in the
Jefferson Democrat, there is a doubt in my mind as to her age, as
printed in the paper.)

PROBATE COURT - Estate of Wm. BLANK, deceased; renewed order of sale of
real estate made.

PROBATE COURT - Estate of Henry STEERMAN, deceased; order of publication
made.

DEATHS and BIRTHS - The following is a list of the deaths filed with the
County Clerk the past week:
Date Name Age
July 19 Margaret MANESS 75 years
BIRTHS
Date Name of Mother Sex
July 29 Mrs. David J. WHITE girl
Aug. 23 Mrs. Andrew BOSSLEY girl

WEDNESDAY, 24 AUGUST 1887

Mr. and Mrs. L.L. MOSS, of Sandy, buried their three-year-old girl last
Wednesday.

Jas. T. MOSS looks like a disconsolated widower; his wife being off on a
visit to her daughter, Mrs. BYRNES, in Potosi.

MARRIED - in the Probate office, Monday, August 22nd, 1887, W.H. TUCKER
and Miss Elizabeth MATTINGER, Judge ELKINS officiating.

If Mr. George FREDERICH will send us 6 cents in postage stamps and
inform us of his address, we will mail to him his citizens paper, lot of
teacher's certificates, &c. The bundle of papers was found on the road
last Saturday by Mr. LEMPKE.

Martin ZIMPFER, of Antonia, had been ---- ---- ---- had gotten very
lonesome. He had a 2-year-old child and a large house to take care of,
and as the family hired by him was about to move away, he felt the
necessity of securing a permanent housekeeper, who would have an
interest in the business. Just over the hill lived his neighbor, Adolph
KASSEL, whose eldest daughter was a bright, handsome, healthy and
well-formed young lady of marriageable age, and Martin recognized the
fact that there was no use going any further provided he could win the
prize so near at home. To make a long story short, he laid siege and
won, and it was our good fortune, through the kindness of Judge ELKINS,
who was called upon to officiate, to be present at the wedding last
Sunday. Martin ZIMPFER and Miss Josephine KASSEL were pronounced man
and wife, by Probate Judge R.A. ELKINS, at the residence of the bride's
parents at noon, Sunday, August 21, 1887. In addition to the family
there were present Louis WESTERECK, Leo KOHLER and ye editor. A fine
dinner was served by Mrs. KASSEL, which was not slighted by anyone
present. After dinner neighbors began dropping till there was quite a
large crowd. Refreshments were served all through the day, and a jolly
time was had up to the hour of our departure for home, 6p.m. It was the
hardest kind of a job to tear away from such a friendly company, but
business demands were imperative and we could not devote any more time
to pleasure. We reached home at 9p.m., after a disagreeable drive
through rain and dark. We can almost imagine that we will hear horns
tooting, bells ringing and beer glasses clinking up towards Antonia ever
since, for it is not likely that vicinity missed such a good opportunity
for a rousing charivari. (Another microfilmed fold. )

DEATHS and BIRTHS - The following is a list of the deaths filed with the
County Clerk the past week:
Date Name Age
April 17 Maurice Leander MOON 12 years
May 8 Robert C. OUTMAN 34 years
June 11 Emma S. SMITH 4 years
Aug 1 John A. KELLY 10 months
Aug 5 Ulyssus U. LAPLANT 6 months
Aug 11 Mildreth A. LARKINS 5 months
BIRTHS
Date Name of mother Sex
July 10 Mrs. William SCHLUDER boy
June 26 Mrs. Wm. Jasper McFRY girl
June 1 Mrs. John E. HUSKEY girl

OBITUARY - DIED - August 8, 1887, at the residence of her father, Mr.
Theo MUNSON, near Horine, Mrs. Ella M. STAGER, aged 26 years.
At the time of her death she was visiting at her father's, and although
she had been in ill health and a great, tho' patient sufferer for month,
still her death was a great shock as she was confined to her bed less
than two days. She was buried August 10th, which would have been her
26th birthday. She had many excellent qualities, was more than
ordinarily intelligent, and had a cheerful and sunny disposition, which
made her a universal favorite. She was loved and esteemed by all who
knew her. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. CROW, and were
very impressive. The large attendance of friends, and many beautiful
floral offerings, attested the high esteem in which the deceased and
family were held. Her early death is indeed a great bereavement to her
devoted husband, parents, sisters and friends, who are left to mourn her
irreparable loss. May God give them grace to bear up under this great
afflictton, and live in such a way that they may be prepared when the
summons comes to them. For
"One by one we cross the river,
One by one we're ferried o'er;
One by one, with sins forgiven,