ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035206612

From: Bubba <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: AEF
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 08:23:32 -0500

> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Eugene Stackhouse
> Subject: AEF
>
> American Expeditionary Force.
> The American army in Europe in WWI.

Truly, the acronym, AEF, represents "Allied Expedtionary Force" or
"Forces."

During WWII, there were many AEF participating nations against the
A.X.I.S. (Germany, Italy and Japan), not only USA although we were
rather late into the war.

Similarly, "AEF" was also used of The (primarily USA) Mexican War,
Spanish-American War, WWI and WWII.

Although of similar intent, they are not the same "Allied or American"
military forces. Truly, they are of separate memberships, times, common
enemies, and intents.

However, "American Expeditionary Force" is always improper, although
commonly assumed. "American" is most generally used during the WWI
period.

I don't remember the original posting (his questioning time-period) of
the "originator," but "Allied Expeditionary Force" is proper in all
situations.

Never has USA combatted an enemy without common "allied" support.

This thread: