ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035235582

From: Lannie Walker <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Degradation of Video Tape
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:26:22 -0500

One comment about video tape. I disagree about the useful
lifespan of videotape. I have been recording video tapes
since the advent of VHS recorders and my tapes have not
noticeably degraded> I agree that it is desirable to
move everything that you can to CD but there is one
extremely valuable use (for me anyway) for videotape that
doesn't involve video at all.
I converted all of my music cassettes from cassette tape
to video tapes using a VCR that uses MTS recording capabilities.
Basically MTS means that you can record sound onto you video
recorder in two different ways;
1. using the VCR "linear recording" mode which used fixed
audio recording heads along one edge of the video tape, and
2. Using HI-FI mode where the same moving heads that record
the video is also used to record the sound (at a different
layer on the tape).
Now, the advantage of using the HI-Fi method is because it will
yield the greatest frequency resonse of any other home recording
equipment and it will also give you a phenominal signal/noise
ratio. Now, cassettes are the lowest fidelity recording device
on the market. Why? The record heads are fixed and the tape
movement is too slow to give a desirable frequency response.
But, I can transfer my cassettes to HI-FI VCR (even at the
Extended Play Tape Speed, the frequency response is great) so
that when I then transfer them to digital medium I can
increase signal gain and still minimize inherent effect of cassette
tape hiss. I have also converted a friend's library of 8 track
tapes to video tape (minus any picture, of course. And then
digitized those recordings to get the transfer of minimum tape hiss.
In conclusion, I agree with transferring stuff from video tape
to CDs but just don't underestimate the continuing usefulness of
video tape. As an aside, I am not sure that the MTS recorder is
made any more that has the manual stereo audio level controls that
went to some trouble to find.
Lannie
noise
> From: Nadine Helkenn <>
> Subject: Re: SLIDES
>
> I'm sorry, but putting anything on videotape these days just does not make
> sense. Videotape has a limited lifespan (10 to 15 years) and the quality

This thread: