ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035290686

From: Sharon Simpson <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Teachers
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:44:46 -0400

Go even further back to the old one room school houses. My dad "quit"
school before he was 11 years old back in 1910.
y mother quit while in the "9th grade" and felt superior to my father.

A few years ago I found some old readers in my dad's house and inquired
as to whose there were. They were Dad's--5th Readers. He had finished
all of the school work from a one room school house and was ready for
high school. Unfortunately at that time to go on to high school he
would have had to board and probably pay tuition to a "city" school.

The 5th Reader included soe of the old Greek and Roman writings as well
as Shakesphere. As for math, Dad taught me a bit of trigonometry! Try
either of those courses in 5th grade today with about 22 students per
class!

This thread: