ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035425344

From: "Charlotte M. Maness" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] MISSOURI, Jefferson Co., BIRTHS & etc.
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:09:04 -0600

Hello again: I wish to note that some of the words in the files I am
posting may look a little "strange" or misspelled. I copied them as
they were printed in the Democrat and in order for authenticity I
maintained the spelling and wording.

Here is the 2nd part of my most recent "Pearls". Enjoy,
Charlotte

Part II

Jefferson Democrat
Hillsboro, Jefferson, Missouri

WEDNESDAY, 9 NOVEMBER 1887

John COGAN, a machinist, employed in the car shop, died rather suddenly
last Saturday night. He had been under medical treatment for some time
past, but was able to work all day Saturday, and felt no symptoms of
danger until a short time before his death. Coroner MOCKBEE held an
inquest on Sunday, and the verdict was that he died from heart
disease. He has been working in DeSoto for about a year and a half, but
had no family here, though it is said that he has children in East St.
Louis. November 7, 1887

MAXVILLE - On the 25th ult. we had a grand wedding here. John H. von
der HAAR of St. Louis county (as usual these St. Louis county gents will
keep crossing the line and gobble up our girls, to the detriment of our
young, bashful fellows; and it seems our Rock township girls, on account
of their beauty and sweet, continence, are in demand by our neighbors on
the north), was married to Frances KONERT, daughter of Joseph KONERT, by
Rev. W.J. AUGENENDT, at the Catholic Church, and the wedding was held at
the residence of Hubert BECKER. The bridesmaids were Misses Mary KONERT
and Elizabeth Von der HAAR, while the groomsmen were Messrs. Joseph Von
der HAAR and Gerhard KONERT. The musicians, John BECKER, Andam BECKER
and Anderson SWEENEY, were kept busy all afternoon till next morning.
The tables were filed with choice victuals, which were well patronized.
It don't look like Local Option here, when ten kegs of beer were got
away with, and a cold day at that. We wish the bridal party health,
wealth and a happy life. Maxville, October 31, 1887.

STRINGTOWN - Mrs. Ed. MAUPIN is very sick. She is not likely to recover
soon.

WEDNESDAY, 16 NOVEMBER 1887

COUNTY COURT - Victorine AUBREY was adjudged insane and ordered sent to
the State lunatic asylum at Fulton.

COUNTY COURT - Inquest proceedings by 'Squire WATERS, over body of Mrs.
Anna YUNGEMANN, were approved.

COUNTY COURT - The following reports of inquests were approved, all by
Coroner MOCKBEE. Over bodies of Mary SCHREIBER, Toby CAPELLO, Paul
POLONIA and two unknown men.

ORDER OF PUBLICATION - State of Missouri - County of Jefferson. In the
Circuit court of said county, to January term, 1888 - In vacation,
November 15, 1887.
Anna P. GRAHAM, plaintiff, vs. James P. GRAHAM, defendant.
At this day comes the plaintiff herein, by her attorney, Jos. J.
WILLIAMS, and files her petition and affidavit, alleging among other
things that defendant, James P. GRAHAM, is not a resident of the State
of Missouri. Whereupon it is ordered by the clerk, that said defendant
be notified by publication that plaintiff has commenced a suit against
him in this court, the object and general nature of which is to obtain a
decree of said court dissolving the bonds of matrimony now existing
between the plaintiff and defendant, upon the grounds that about the
month of August, 1884(?), defendant deserted and abandoned her, and has
absented himself without any reasonable cause for the space of more than
one whole year; plaintiff also prays that she be awarded the care and
custody of the issue of such marriage, to-wit: Ella, Willie, Florence,
Elmer and Ellis(?), all being between the ages of nine years and three
years; and that unless the said defendant, James P. GRAHAM, be and
appear at this court, at the next term thereof, to be begun and holden
at the courthouse in the Town of Hillsboro, in said county, on the
second Monday of January next, and on or before the sixth day of said
term, if the term shall so long continue - and if not, then on or before
the last day of said term - answer or plead to the petition to said
cause, the same will be taken as confessed and judgment will be rendered
accordingly.
And it is further ordered that a copy hereof be published, according to
law, in the Jefferson Democrat, a newspaper printed and published in
Jefferson county, Missouri.
D.B. VEAZEY, Circuit Clerk. A True copy from the record. Witness my
hand and the seal of the Circuit court of Jefferson county, Missouri,
this 15th day of November, 1887. D.B. VEAZEY, Circuit Clerk. November
15, 1887.

WEDNESDAY, 23 NOVEMBER 1887

James K. ROGUES, of Victoria, was granted a pension as a veteran of the
Mexican war.

Louis ADAMS and family, accompanied by Joe and Clark WHITE, have gone to
Kansas to make their future home.

Mrs. John GAEVIN died, last week, at her home in Festus. She leaves a
husband and five children to mourn her demise.

On the 17th inst., in the Probate court room, Judge ELKINS pronounced
Cornelius WASHBURN and Lucinda MANESS man and wife.

Green McKEE, one of the oldest citizens of the vicinity of Victoria, was
buried last Saturday. He had been in feeble health for years.

We learn that Perry McCORMACK, of Plattin, has gone to San Jose,
California, and that he gave his wife $1,742 and a valuable horse, in
lieu of her dower or interest in his property.

Mrs. Raymond MICHAEL of DeSoto whose husband died recently, will
continue the business of hoop-shaving, at the old stand, and will pay
the highest market price for hoop-poles.

The following BIRTHS were filed the past week: Sept. 5, Mrs. Sebastian
KOHLER, a girl; Oct. 15, Mrs. Frank ROSENAUER, a girl; Nov. 3, Mrs.
Philip RENTZ, a boy; Nov. 11, Mrs. William KUENTZLE, a boy.

DEMOCR54

This thread: