ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035561398

From: Doug & Jeanne Davis <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] French Canadian "Dit"
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:56:38 -0400

The French word, dit, literally translates as "saying". In Fr-Can
Genealogy it is the equivalent of "nickname" or "known as". Sometimes it
is the diminutive of the given name as in "Pierre dit Pierrot", sometimes
it seems to be an entirely different name as in "Francois dit Dougre" and
why he was called "Doug" I have no idea. Both examples were found in my
LeBlanc records.

Incidentally, a great Fr-Can resource can be found at:
http://www.umoncton.ca/etudeacadiennes/centre/white/sha.html
If your's is one of the 27 families researched by Steven White, head of the
Department of Genealogy at the University of Moncton in New Brunswick, you
will find a very complete genealogy there which you can print out. Mr.
White is recognized as one of the leading researchers on the subject and I
have gotten valuable information by writing to him directly at the
University. Our correspondence was all in English even tho the info on his
web-site is in French. The two years of French I studied in high-school
(back during the Civil War) has long been forgotten but with the aid of a
paper-back, French-English dictionary I was able to incorporate his data
into mine.

My French names are: LeBlanc, Cormier, Melanson, Gauvin, Leger. Any
connections?
Jeanne Mueller Davis

>Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:31:50 -0400
>From: Deb <>
>Subject: 'Dit' in Canada
>

>Does anyone know what and why 'Dit' is in some names in Canada? I've
>run across this researching my Canadian roots and wonder what it is.

This thread: