ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035730197

From: Doug & Jeanne Davis <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] "The Grand Derangement"
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:49:57 -0500

I've enjoyed the many versions of the early Canadian history but one
important occurrence has not be mentioned so far: the forcible disbursement
by the British of the French settlers of Eastern Canada: New Bruswick, Nova
Scotia and Ontario. Until I started researching my French-Canadian
ancestors, I didn't understand the animosity that some Canadian "French"
still feel toward the "English". Anyone really interested in this section
of history can read more about it by looking up "Adacian Museum" on Google
(and if you are ever in the St. Martinville, LA area, I highly recommend a
visit) or go to the following web-site;
htm://www.acadian-cajun.com/hisacad1.htm
My branch of the LeBlanc family apparently were among those who chose to
flee into the surrounding country-side, rather than be deported. Tho I
haven't read it, Longfellow's poem "Evangeline" recounts the plight of the
early Acadians. Our current "Cajun" population in Louisianna are
descendants of these people.
You never know what you'll learn when you start doing genealogy, do you???

Jeanne Mueller Davis

This thread: