ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035759891

From: "Cliff. Johnston" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: July 12...
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 17:04:51 -0600

Kathi,

Yes, you are correct, in part; however, religious discrimination was also directed against the Presbyterians in Ireland. To be more correct I believe that you would have to say that the English controlled Anglican/Church of Ireland members controlled the Parliament of Ireland and passed those laws. Presbyterians too were not allowed to have our own ministers, marry in our own churches, have our children baptised, hold certain jobs, etc. for many decades in Ireland, but without looking it up I can't quote the years inclusively. In fact at one point in Irish history, ca. 1795-97, the Irish Roman Catholics and the Scots-Irish Presbyterians were holding meaningful discussions to link up and overthrow the English. Unfortunately each of their religious leaders distrusted the other, and the tail wagged the dog - as usual. It came to naught.

Our family has plenty of oral family history about our ancestors going back to Scotland to have marriages solemnized in a Presbyterian church - the same with baptisms because it was illegal to have it done in Ireland.

The English objective was one church - the Church of Ireland which was essentially an Irish branch of the Anglican Church. It never happened.

Yes, the Roman Catholics were discriminated against, and it was not good for the common man. One needs to take into account the circumstances that existed and brought about July 12, 1690, though - not pleasant by anyone's standards. The Protestants did not start those wars. They were wars of religious genocide to use a modern phrase.

We must not make the mistake of feeling that we (Roman Catholics and Presbyterians) and we alone were the objects of discrimination. Many religions were. One must also consider the pendulum effect. After a war the defeated always fared for the worse; however, with time punitive laws were ameliorated and rights regained.

Cliff.

This thread: