ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1035761423

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Switzerland Need HELP
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 18:30:23 -0500

> Subject: Switzerland Need HELP
>
> My great Grand mothers family moved to America in 1840 from
> Switzerland, they came via France to New Orleans and up the
> missippi to St Louis and a 80 acre farm they started with five
> children and had one born enroute. The Names are John Henry
> Hauptli (ly) and Franna Ulrich , they came from a town
> pronounced AArou, Does any one have any idea how I can proceed
> to find out about them, When and where born, marriage date, also
> dates of demise for both of them, I would also like to go back
> and find there parents and the same information. Is there a web
> connection where I can look up people in Switzerland, appreciate
> any assistance Bill Childers at

Hello Bill,

You might want to start at GERMANS & SWISS TO USA at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/germanstousa.shtml

This will give you some ideas for starting your research, and
there are also links to online databases where you can look for
your names. Be creative with the spelling, remember that
spelling wasn't exact back then.

Someone recording information might not have spoken the same
language, and could only write down what he heard - so try lots
of variations of the surname.

Good luck

Lorine**Search Ships Passenger Lists to USA
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/search_ships.shtml

**Search Ships Passenger Lists to Canada
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/search_shipscanada.shtml

**Search Ships Passenger Lists to Australia/New Zealand
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/searchships_aus.shtml

This thread: