ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2002-10 > 1036015414

From: "Charlotte M. Maness" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] MISSOURI, Jefferson Co., BIRTHS & etc.
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:03:34 -0700

Here is the 2nd part of your "Pearls" for the day, enjoy. Charlotte

Part II

Jefferson Democrat
Hillsboro, Jefferson, Missouri

WEDNESDAY, 8 FEBRUARY 1888;

DE SOTO - Mr. and Mrs. RATHBUN went to New York to attend the funeral of
the mother of Mr. R., who died in Florida while traveling for the
benefit of her health.

Mr. GEISE, living on Glaise Creek, had his leg broken about a month ago,
and has been suffering ever since, and is now in a bad condition.
To-day Drs. McNUTT and KIRK are going to perform an operation. It will
probably be necessary to amputate his leg.

David WHITE lost a child, Friday, either with the croup or diptheria.
Kimmswick, February 5, 1888.

PUBLIC AUCTION - W.L. REID will sell at public auction, on Saturday,
February 25, 1888, all of his farm stock, implements, tools, etc.; eight
head of horses, fifteen graded Jersey cattle, and twelve fine brood
sows. This is an excellent opportunity for getting fine blooded stock
at public sale. W.L. REID, Sandy Bridge, Mo.

C.W. HARMONY, of DeSoto, was last week granted reissue and increase of
pension.

If any one wants to see a fine large girl, let him call on Louis
WESTERRECK, the Antonia blacksmith, who has a brand new one at his house
for the past week.

Hermann HOFFMANN, one of DeSoto's prominent citizens, died last Monday.
Mr. HOFFMANN was engaged in the business of saloon keeping and was a man
who, by his gentlemanly deportment, made respectable any business in
which he engaged.

We are in receipt of a letter from Constantin MEYER, of the Leavenworth
(Kansas) Soldier's Home, dated February 5th, in which he tells us that
the inmates of that institution have all that could be desired. Their
rooms are excellent, the board of the best, and amusements numerous.
Those who are able to work get some fair pay for their services. He
informs us that old man AHERNS is doing well, being the foreman of the
"saw mill gang," and that Andrew HOCHSTADTER, also of this county, is
enjoying good health. This trio of Jefferson county are regular readers
of the J.D., and Mr. MEYER complains that they have missed three
issues. Whose fault this is we can not tell, as the paper is mailed
regularly at this office. He also says that it was so cold on January
19th, that several children froze to death while on their way to school.

McGAHAN's District, February 3. - Editor J.D.: Our five-months school,
taught by Miss Jennie PERKINS, closed yesterday with exhibitions, in
which the children acquitted themselves splendidly. Every one had
something to do, and all performed their parts well. Miss PERKINS has
taught us two terms and given such satisfaction that I am sure she will
be engaged for the next term, as we can not do better. Mr. DEGONIA
furnished vocal and instrumental music for the entertainment...The
Moontown road is so bad that people can not go to town to get the news,
so I haven't much to write about; but I must not forget to state that
there is a new boy at Eli McMULLIN's, and the father is very proud.
This is No. 5. Get there, Eli! B.

BIRTHS
Date Name of mother Sex
Nov. 23 Mrs. John W. NULL girl
Dec. 30 Mrs. George SCHAD boy
Jan. 3 Mrs. David MATHEWS boy
Jan. 5 Mrs. Rudolph KRAMME boy
Jan. 8 Mrs. Alfred GRAHAM boy
Jan. 9 Mrs. Joseph HYATT boy
Jan. 13 Mrs. John RENO boy
Jan. 23 Mrs. Amos COLMAN boy
Jan. 25 Mrs. James GIBSON girl
Jan. 30 Mrs. Richard HENDRICKSON boy

LIST of CONVEYANCES - Filed with the Recorder during the week ending on
last Saturday.
State of Missouri to John OEJEN, 80a section 16 tp42
range 4 $ 100.00
James COHIRK to James COHIRK, Jr., 200a, section 18 tp40 range 5
1000.00
John B. CRAFT to Henry ACHTER, 40 acres in survey 1981 507.00
Sarah BITTES to John A. YOUNG, two-fifths of 80 acres, section 18
township 42 range 3 $282.00
J.L. THOMAS to A.J. MILLER, 40a, section 11 township 40 range 4, to
correct former deed.

OBITUARY - DIED - January 17, 1888, at Sullivan, Mo., Mrs. E.W. ADAIR,
wife of the late Dr. W.P. ADAIR, of spinal disease, after an illness of
six days.
Mrs. ADAIR was born December 2, 1822, in St. Francois county, Mo., near
Farmington. Her maiden name was POSTON. She was married twice, first
to N.M. BOSWORTH, of New York, and afterwards to Dr. ADAIR of
Pennsylvania. She leaves one daughter, Mrs. J.W. MILLER, besides a host
of mourning friends and relatives. She united with the Presbyterian
church when quite young, and has ever since lived a consistent Christian
life. Burt her work is done, her pilgrimage finished, and she has gone
to that brighter, better world, to be forever with the God she loved and
served, and while we weep we feel that our loss is her gain.
Her brow is enclosed in a golden crown,
Her travel-stained garments are all laid down;
And, clothed in white remount, she rests in the mead,(?)
Where Jesus doth love his saints to lead.
Annie M.W.
Sullivan, January 28, 1888.

WEDNESDAY, 13 FEBRUARY 1888

PUBLIC SALE - The undersigned will sell, at public auction, at Pevely,
Mo., on Saturday, March 10, 1888, a mule, farm and spring wagons, cider
press, lard press, plows, corn sheller, and other farming utensils,
household and kitchen furniture, feather beds, quilts, 150 yards of
carpet, empty barrels; and some corn and hay; also some desirable lots
in Pevely. $5 and under cash; over, six months credit on good notes.
Wm. JEUDE.

A new postoffice has been established in the northwest part of this
county, on Calvey creek. It is known as OERMAN, and Charles OERMAN is
postmaster.

Mrs. Anna, wife of Jacob GONGHOFF, of near Maxville, died on the 10th
instant, aged 46 years. She leaves a large family of children to the
care of the bereaved husband.

democr55

This thread: