ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1046613821

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Kansas Alien Registrations 1917-21 index 6000 names
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 09:03:41 -0500

New on NaturalizationRecords.com
(http://naturalizationrecords.com/ )

After World War I started, all non-naturalized "Enemy Aliens"
were required to register with United States authorities as a
security measure.

Registrants were from all walks of life. For the State of
Kansas the registered aliens represent a broad cross-section of
the German-born population of the State.

NARA has a database of this set of records, but it is not
indexed, and is a bit tricky to search. I spent some time
creating indexes for the registrants (over 6,000 names!) and
putting them in alphabetical order.

For 120 of the 6,000 registrants there are online digitized
images of their registration papers at NARA. This contain
details such as year of immigration plus ship name and port of
arrival, maiden names of wives, parents' names (including
mother's maiden name), place and date of birth, childrens'
names
and birth dates, siblings names and places of residence,
photo,
fingerprints, and more.

Those names without online digital images have more details
such
as place and date of birth, residence, etc. The full records
can be obtained offline for these registrants.

The index I have created is for almost 6,000 affidavits filed
in
the Kansas Judicial District, 1917-1921.

This index is online and searchable at
http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/alienreg1917-
21_intro.shtml

If this URL wraps to 2 lines, you can start at

http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/ks_onlinedb.shtml

and follow the link on that page.

I have written out detailed instructions on how to use the
online index to find the full records on NARA's online
database,
and how to order the records for those names without online
images.

Enjoy, and I hope you find an ancestor or two :-)

Lorine

Lorine McGinnis Schulze
--
* The Olive Tree Genealogy