ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1046909615

From: Steven Dhuey <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Alien registration in 1930s
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 18:13:35 -0600

>Aliens living in the USA were required to complete an Alein Address Report
>yearly to the Immigration and Naturalization Service. . . Sometime
>in the mid-1970s, they gave up (apparently overwhelmed by
>illegals) and stopped the requirement.

The original inquiry was whether aliens in the United States circa
1935 had to report to any government agency. The correct answer is --
they did not.

Except for the wartime Alien Registration Act of 1940, which was
effective 1940-1944 (and a similar act in World War I), aliens in the
U.S. did not have to register with the government until the
Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952 was passed, which became
effective in 1953. For a summary of the act, see:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/aboutus/statistics/legishist/511.htm

The annual registration clause is in part K of that summary.

The annual registration requirement was repealed by the Immigration
and Nationality Act Amendments of 1981:

http://www.immigration.gov/graphics/aboutus/statistics/legishist/557.htm

See part D of that summary.

Steve