ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1046933597

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Sharing - another response
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 01:53:17 EST

Lannie

Actually I agree with you.
I have freely shared with many people and will continue to do so.
But this was not sharing - this was saying "this is my line does it match
yours?" To me there is a big difference.
But when I have spent years digging through records and someone takes the
information I sent and declares it to be their research, when no connection
was even established -- THAT is what I object to.

We need to share, but we also need to acknowledge another persons years of
work. I would never deem to consider any information to be MINE simply
because someone gave it to me. It is theirs and they deserve the credit for
the work. I never saw that source document - THEY did.
To me a big difference