ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1047045702

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: The Impossible Dream
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:01:42 EST

> I have tried many avenues to find my own answers, but just don't have the
> necessary resources. My grandmother, Anna Frederika Hunninghaus was the
> daughter of Frederick Hunninghaus and Paula Victoria Jost. Paula's mother
> was Anna Willing and her father was Gustav Jost.
> When Anna was "a young girl" probably sometime between 1894 and 1900, she
> and
> her mother traveled from Brooklyn, NY to Philadelphia, PA to attend the
> funeral of a "close relative" (name unknown). Clues to his identity:
> He was a "grand pooh-bah" in the Masons, he lived in Philadelphia, his
> funeral was the largest my grandmother had ever attended. Names I have
> found
> associated with Paula's side of the family: Haussmann, Landwehr, Willing,
> and Jost.
> I've not found an index to obituaries for Philadelphia, and hope that if
> such
> an index exists, that someone would be kind enough to see if there is
> anyone
> with the associated surnames (or a the death of a high ranking Mason who
> died
> in the time period) in the index who could be the person I am trying to
> find,
> or steer me in the direction I need to go.

My first suggestion is not to insult the Masonic Lodge by using the term
"grand pooh-bah" in the Masons. There is no such title. A little research
would have informed you of that. I may be a bit touchy this morning, but my
ancestors were Masons and proud of it. It is a worthy organization.

This thread: