ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1047342579

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Help
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:29:39 -0500

On 10 Mar 2003 at 18:21, ... valentine53179 wrote:

> [...]

Once you know your ancestor's state of entry, you can search
microfilms. Most states are indexed, so this will make your
job slightly easier. You can order films in to a nearby
Family History Centre, or have NARA do the job (once you
have precise details)

Once you know your state, you can get a list of film numbers
(NARA & FHC) at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/nara_indexbyport.shtml

Scroll down to the state you want and click on the link,
then find the film # you need

You can't trust the census absolutely - it's always wise to
search a year or two on either side of those immigration or
naturalization years. :-)

Speaking of naturalizations, you may want to find your
ancestors. For help with this see
http://naturalizationrecords.com/usa/

You can search online databases or use the Resource Guide to
find offline records.

Also see Germans to America at
http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/germanstousa.shtml

Lorine