ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1047398074

From: "Barbara A. Brown" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Help needed (Bertha Wulf)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:54:34 -0500

> According to "Germans to America" Bertha Wulf arrived in the USA on the ship
> Gellert on July 26,1886.

Did you do the lookup in GTA or did someone else? There are three Bertha
Wulf's - one who arrived aboard the Gellert on July 23, 1887, and a slew
of Bertha Wolf's. Perhaps someone mistranscribed the information.

Another reason why it is always a good idea to double check ALL
information you receive.

> I searched available ship lists to know avail and

Searched the actual passenger lists, or searched online sources?
It has been estimated that less than ten perecent of all US bound ships
lists have been transcribed and displayed online (and the Ellis Island
site holds a hefty chunk of that ten percent).

> then looked for info on the ship Gellert finding that it was not making any
> trips in the year 1886. So the info I received was incorrect. I know that
> she arrived in July of 1886 from Germany. What steps can I take to find
> something about her passage? Her husbands' relatives told me that her last

Go to Arnie Lang's site or The Olive Tree or the NARA site, get the
microfilm numbers for 1886-1887, and look for her.

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/usaaft1820.shtml

(scroll all the way down the page to "What's Available in Ships'
Passenger Lists to USA After 1820")

http://home.att.net/~arnielang/

This thread: