ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1048208332

From: "John Kays" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Manila, Phillipines
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:58:52 -0800

> Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:58:17 -0600
> From: "art&jan" <>
> Subject: Manila, Phillipines
>
> Hi all, I'm reposting this request because last time I might have got a
little too wordy with my story so I'll shut up now & get to the point.

> I have an old photograph of my Uncle & another soldier from WW2. We are
trying to figure out the writing on the back as it is very old & faded.
With great suggestions from this group we have made a little headway.

> The date looks like Oct 31, 1945 (maybe 3)
> Manila, Phillipines
>
> There is a word between those two that we can't make out. Possibly
DUZONTA or LUZONTA or something like that.

> Is there someone out there who might be able to help me figure out what
this could be? The 2 men are standing in the street in their uniforms &
there is some kind of coach or wagon behind them with big wagon wheels
pulled by a horse.

> Thank you,
> Jan

Jan,

What you're reading on the back of the picture is more likely to be Luzon.
This is the main island that Manila is on. Also, the date would be 1945,
because in 1943, the Philippine Islands were occupied by the Japanese. The
cart that is being pulled by a horse and has two big wheels would be a
Calesa. It is used as a taxi. In fact, they are still used today.

John Kays

This thread: