ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1048230639

From: Steven Dhuey <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Alternate sources for military records
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:10:39 -0600

>Does anybody know if it would do any good to delve into NARA's maize, if the
>Govm't has notified me that "there is no military record found for the
>person you requested"? . . .This veteran was killed in July 1946
>after the official war was declared over and I do not have the
>serial #, if that makes a difference.

The military records branch of the National Personnel Records Center
(NPRC) will attempt to reconstruct a service record destroyed in the
1973 fire by using alternate sources, IF THE REQUEST IS MADE IN AN
ATTEMPT TO FILE A CLAIM FOR MILITARY BENEFITS by the veteran or his
next of kin. They do not have the time or personnel to reconstruct
records solely for genealogical purposes.

By the way, as far as the U.S. government was concerned, it was still
at war in July 1946. It was not until Dec. 31, 1946 that President
Truman officially declared,

"Now, THEREFORE, I, HARRY S. TRUMAN, President of the United States
of America, do hereby proclaim the cessation of hostilities of World
War II, effective twelve o'clock noon, December 31, 1946."

For more information, see:

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/trumanpapers/pppus/1946/273.htm

Steve

This thread: