ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1048293989

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: "No military Records Found..."
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 19:46:29 EST

In a message dated 3/21/2003 1:14:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> -Message: #7
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:39:38 -0800
> From: "R Kaye" <>
> Subject: "No military Records Found..."
>
> Does anybody know if it would do any good to delve into NARA's maize, if
> the
> Govm't has notified me that "there is no military record found for the
> person you requested"?
>
> If there is a way around the "lost records", etc, I'm willing to do it.
> But, don't want to spend time spinning my wheels and pea sized brain if in
> vain.
>
> This veteran was killed in July 1946 after the official war was declared
> over and I do not have the serial #, if that makes a difference.
>
> Thnx
> RKaye

Dear RKaye, first of all, NARA would have nothing to do with records of a
veteran who died in 1946. And, unless he had a spouse/dependent
children/dependent parents or others eligible for VA benefits, then no VA
record would have been established.

If the veteran had a wife and he died connected with his military service,
then the wife would have been eligible for benefits until such time as she
remarried. Dependent children would also have been eligible for benefits
until they turned 18, unless they were still in school. Benefits for
dependent parents is based on income. Without a serial number, locating the
veteran's file number becomes a problem, especially if he had a name like
John Jones. Dependent benefits are set up under the veteran's name.

You may also wish to contact the Casualty Affairs office for the Branch of
Service in which the veteran served.
Hope this helps,
Paula

This thread: