ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1048604438

From: "... valentine53179" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] saving STUFF - howtos
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 09:00:38 -0600

Subject: [ROOTS-L] mail boxes and folders and saving your STUFF!!! how tos

I CANNOT COUNT THE NUMBER OF TIMES THAT I HAVE READ THAT PEOPLE have lost their STUFF because of server problems.
even one person of stature on THIS list has been hit!

or because your telephone/cable company changed hands and POOF your folders are history, just like your email address!!!!
never to be see again. never ever

UNTIL you have the information on y-o-u-r machine in your own documents, they are 'free radicals'..
yes you see them on your machine and so far life is good, but life will be way way better if you puut the STUFF where you have the absolute control and that means in YOUR OWN FILE..

I have written before about this and it could be found in the archives, but I will go at it again for those folks finding that they are collecting lots of good stuff from emails and this list.

first.
create 4 WORD (or word processer of choice) documents
and call them something like
0internetA-f
another
0internet G-K etc etc etc L-P Q-Z

if you use a numeric in the first position it will always come up first on your list of documents.

then in the first document
create entries of
AAA

BBB

CCC

DDD

EEE

FFF

I bold these and underline them now.
then the pasting comes in as underlined as times go by.

DITTO THE OTHER docS..

THEn KEEPING THE DOCUMENT OPEN,
OPEN THE FIRST OF YOUR SAVED EMAILS WITH the TREASURES..
block/copy only the info that you want to keep..

then in the appropriate word document,
paste the info in the correct place...
then save the document.
if you want other data from that email saved too,
then go back and block/copy that material and paste it..

continue thru your emails until you have finished the session.
(delete those emails that you have clipped.

then in the word document
with control+A
standardize the font and type..
I use arial in 8pt

use your find/replace to remove the > and replace them with a blank

SAVE THE DOCUMENT after each of your actions with CONTROL+S.
this is very very important..with each paste, save!

as you go along you will find certain topics will come up..
say
CENSUS
so I create a CENSUSCENSUS or CENCEN
so I can do control+F to find cencen
and I am immediately brought to the first line of that section..
all ready to paste my new census info.

ditto with going to FFF or DDD etc...

a single D would not work, and likely DD would not work, but my experience shows that except for WWW, triple characters work best for sorting.
www,rootsweb.com screws up www so I use wwww (that's four w) for the W

a document such as this could grow easily to 150 pages.
always available to you..
if you are travelling, then send each of these to yourself as attachments for the duration of the trip.
you can open them, use them and close them
and delete the message upon your return - since you will be continuing to update it..

as you go along, you will find that your machine might drag a bit if all four docs are opened and so you will probably start email folders where you can save your emails for A-F, etc
that way only one doc is opened and you can clear the corresponding folders and have some satisfaction.

I have done this for years.
I actually have 6 documents, each well over 180 pages in 8pt arial.with no junk.
plus it gets backed up with each backup.
and I have it when I travel..
which I used to do a lot..

to illustrate my point further.
if you have msn8..DO YOU KNOW EXACTLY where the 'folders on my computer' is hidden in your computer?
do you save them when you back up?
I would be apt to believe the answer is no.
ditto for anyone that is saving stuff on their computer under their server title.

so in closing, learn from someone elses experiences.

if there are questions on this - then on list please, for my goal is to save your genealogy research bits and pieces..
you will be very sad if you lose years and years of info...

hope this helps someone- or two or three.
valentine

This thread: