ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1048885722

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: State Census - Ohio and Kansas
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:08:42 EST

In a message dated 3/27/2003 7:06:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Does anyone know if there were census taken by Ohio state? In particular,
> I'm looking for the year 1885. I'm trying to find my husband's
> g-grandparents. She was on the 1880 census in Oxford, Coshocton Co. with
> her
> parents; he was on the 1880 census in Lake, Cook Co. IL. with a cousin's
> family. They married in 1884. Their first child was born 15 Sept. 1885 but
>
> I'm not sure which state. The names are Walter Leslie &Sarah Margaret
> Walters Crowell.
> Thanks for any help that can be given.
> Judy

Judy:

Based on a reference in my personal library (e.g. State Census Records by Ann
S. Lainhart, 1992) Ohio did not take any censuses. Kansas, on the other
hand, took censuses every 10 years beginning in 1855 and extending through
1925. Based on the above reverence: "The 1885 census lists all in the
household by name, and gives age, sex, race or color, marital status,
occupation of those over 10 and the trade or profession being learned by
those under 21, and state or country of birth; and in addition where from to
Kansas (state or country) and military record (condition of discharge, state
or enlistment, letter or name of company or command, number of regiment or
other organization to which attached, arm of the service, and name of prison
if confined to one)." The reference goes on to say that there was a detailed
agricultural schedule as well. Additionally, "the 1855 and 1865 state
censuses are indexed, and an index is presently being compiled for 1885. All
others are unindexed and filed by county, township and/or city." Since this
reference was published in 1992 hopefully the 1885 index has been completed.

The original and microfilm copies of the state censuses are located at:

Newspaper and Census Division
Kansas State Historical Society
120 W. 10th
Topeka, Kansas 66612

You may wish to contact the Kansas State Historical Society regarding the
index completion and if the microfilm is available for interlibrary loan.
Perhaps it is available also at the LDS Family History Center?

Hope this is helpful.

Harold from Maryland

This thread: