ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-03 > 1049090945

From: Steven Dhuey <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] WW2 draft registrations
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 00:09:05 -0600

>I would like info on how to find out to get the info on the 2nd war
>registration cards that the states had all males fill out.

See the Selective Service System's website on obtaining copies of
draft registration records:

http://www.sss.gov/records.htm

Several things to keep in mind:

1. If the registrant is still living, you must have the registrant's
written permission to get a copy of his registration.

2. If the registrant is dead, but was born less than 100 years ago,
you must show proof of his death to the S.S.S. to obtain a copy of
his registration.

3. One set of records that is open to the public without restriction
is a man's draft classification (a separate record than his draft
registration). Most registrants went through several draft
classifications during their period of eligibility (half of all
registrants were classified as "4-F" at some time during World War
2). That same page at the S.S.S. website will tell you how to get a
copy of a registrant's classification record.

4. Records from the 4th ("old men's") draft registration of April
1942 are now at the the National Archives regional facilities. These
were men who were born between 28 April 1877 and 16 February 1897.
Since all the men are now presumed dead, there are no restrictions on
the release of these draft records to anyone. To obtain a copy of a
record from this registration, contact the regional facility that
covers the state where the registrant lived in 1942:

http://www.archives.gov/facilities/research_centers.html

For a replica of a 4th draft registration card, see:

http://www.rootdig.com/draft/worldwartwo.html

By the way, in a somewhat related matter, if you are researching a
member of the U.S. armed forces who was a POW in World War 2, see
this website for an on-line database file:

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/research_topics/wwii_pow_punchcards.html

Steve

This thread: