ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-07 > 1057878854

From: ".... valentine53179" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] O'Hare cemeteries and Illinois relatives
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:14:14 -0500

per Cindy Johnson eaddy no longer active 6/2003:
St. John's Cemetery, Cook Co., IL - monument transcription ftp://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/il/cook/cemeteries/stjohns.txt
Located on O'Hare Airport property north of Irving Park Road. at approximately division
This is only a partial list.
There is a set of train tracks that separate the cemetery
from Irving Park Road.
It is hard to stay longer than an hour at a time because the train comes and parks on the track there across the road and we could be stuck back there all night.

and
http://www.dcgs.org/addison/ check this for
Addison Township Cemetery Index
Addison Township Combined Index Sources
Compiled by Ken Madsen
Churchville Cemetery & Funeral List
Friedens Cemetery & Peace Church Funeral List
Geils Funeral Home records 1896-1935
Hackerott Burial Ground List
Immanuel Luth. Elmhurst, Cemetery & Funeral List
Immanuel Luth. Elmhurst, 1917 Membership
Old Methodist Cemetery List (Bensenville)
Pierce Farm Burial Ground List
Resthaven Cemetery & Methodist Funeral List
St. John's Membership Lists for 1899, 1924, & 1949
St. John's Cemetery & Funeral List
St. Paul Luth. Cemetery & Funeral List
Zion Luth. Souls Register for 1888
Zion Luth. Cemetery & Funeral List

and if you are interested in the newsletter regarding these two cemeteries,contact Michael DIRECTLY at the addy below....DO NOT WRITE TO ME!Be sure to put O'Hare cemeteries in your subject... > St. Johannes Cemetery Alliance (SJCA)
> Newsletter
> AN IMPORTANT UPDATE
> As I write this short newsletter the debate has been raging in the
Illinois
> State legislation over the O'Hare expansion bill that is presently before
> the House. If a vote were to occur tonight or tomorrow it is believed to
be
> a very, very close vote, swinging one way or the other. So close as to be
> very uncomfortable. There is also word coming out of Springfield that the
> Senate may take up the cause this weekend, hoping to pass Daley's desire
and
> then passing debate back to the House. Backroom deals are no doubt in
> progress in an effort to sway the vote in Daley's/Expansion favor. In
light
> of all of this I pass along the following developmental notice:
> At a little before 5 PM on Friday, May 30, St. John's United Church of
> Christ filed a lawsuit in Federal Court against the City of Chicago,
> Governor Blagojevich, and the Federal Aviation Administration. The
lawsuit
> seeks an injunction that would prevent the City of Chicago from doing
> anything to harm St. Johannes Cemetery, even in the event that the
> legislation pertaining to O'Hare Expansion passes in Springfield. The
> Church is now being represented by The Becket Fund For Religious Liberty,
in
> addition to its other lawyers, Joseph Karaganis and James Knippen. The
> Becket Fund is an extremely well recognized legal defense fund that
> represents Churches all across the United States, in cases like ours.
Their
> Board of Advisors includes among others, Representative Henry Hyde,
Senator
> Orrin Hatch, Francis Cardinal George who is the Archbishop of Chicago,
> Eunice Kennedy Shriver and a group of highly regarded legal scholars. We
> are especially thankful to attorneys Anthony Picarello, Roman Storzer, and
> Derek Gaubatz of The Becket Fund, who have been working feverishly on this
> matter for the last several weeks. For more information on The Becket
Fund,
> [...]
its
> Members concern violation of the religious beliefs and freedoms of the
> Church concerning the sacredness of St. Johannes as a final resting place
> for Members of the Church. Resthaven Cemetery, and certain of their
family
> members/officers, have also joined this lawsuit on religious grounds.
> Finally, the Church has joined forces in a separate suit with several
local
> municipalities, a representative homeowner and the local forest preserve
> district, which seeks to enforce various laws that apply to the FAA. The
> Church's lawyers believe that these laws require strict planning
procedures
> to be followed, prior to any action being taken with respect to land
> acquisition or destruction. We will keep you posted of any updates, as we
> are able and as events develop. We expect that various court hearings
will
> take place in the next few days, and we will continue to pray for a
> favorable outcome.
> So what can we, the supporters of St. Johannes and Resthaven Cemeteries do
> to continue to try and protect our religious and personal interests? ...
> ... I believe we need to be very, very vigilant at the moment. If you live
> anywhere within the vicinity of St. Johannes we need volunteers who would
be
> attentive to visiting the Cemetery, to keep an eye out for bulldozers. I
am
> not being an alarmist here, but rather, very serious and practical in
light
> of Mayor Daley's recent history and ways of dealing with things he does
not
> like. Meigs Field being a prime example.
>
> ... We need folks who will drive out in the mornings and in the
afternoons,
> or both. Cemetery visitation hours are 7:00am until 5:00pm daily. If any
> unusual activity is noticed within the cemeteries, or if for any reason
you
> are denied access, etc., then we need to be contacted immediately ...
>
> ... here is the best contact point to call: The Village of Bensenville at
> 630-766-8200 ...
>
> ... print out this page and take it with you when you visit the
cemeteries.
> If you have a cell phone, be sure to have it with you. Visit the
cemeteries
> as often as you can. Take time to talk with and get to know anyone else
who
> is concerned with the future of these sacred burial places and who are
there
> visiting as well. Just this past holiday my wife and daughter and I were
at
> St. Johannes for several hours having a picnic and meet several other
> families who came out to visit, and had many very enjoyable chats ...
spend
> time with your loved ones who have gone on before ... and time in prayer
for
> the future of our cemeteries - our religious freedoms, which Daley and
> others say don't apply to us anymore - and for wisdom and courage in
> whatever struggle may yet lie ahead.
>
> It is important, though, that anyone who can will visit the cemeteries, as
> often as possible, do so, so as to prevent the desecration of these
grounds
> as others would want to do.
>
> I will do my best to keep you all informed of any major developments that
> may occur. Thank you for your continued prayers and support of St. John's
> United Church of Christ and St. Johannes Cemetery.
> Sincerely,
> Michael M. Kirchhoff
> Michael Martens Kirchhoff, Sr.
>
> St. Johannes Cemetery Committee Member