ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2003-10 > 1065839290

From: Charlotte Maness <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] MISSOURI, Jefferson Co., BIRTHS & etc.
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 20:28:10 -0600

Just to remind everyone -- Charlotte's "Pearls" are
now archived permanently at

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ote/usa_genealogy/mo_newspaper.htm
--------------------------------

Jefferson Democrat
Hillsboro, Jefferson county, Missouri

FRIDAY, 17 December, 1880

AN AGED MOTHER GONE - [From Potosi INDEPENDENT.] Passed from this life
on Sunday, Nov. 14, 1880, at the residence of Mr. August HAWKINS, in
Kingston township, Washington county, Mo., Mrs. Margaret PINSON, after a
serious illness of twenty-one days. Her remains were interred in the
family graveyard in .p.St. Francois county; the following day, after
religious services at the grave, by Elder J.D. SATTERWHITE, which was
attended by a large assembly of friends and relatives. Mother PINSON
immigrated to this country some 50 years ago with her husband from Allen
county, Ky., and has ever since been among us, and we an cheerfully say,
her life has been much devoted to piety. She was 88 years old, and for
the last 50 years has been a devoted member of the Baptist church much
loved by all who knew her as a faithful Christian. Truly we feel that
our church has lost a pillar, and whilst we sympathize with the bereaved
family and friends we dare not weep as those that have no hope. Her
last words were: "I am going home." What consolation "Yes, going home
to Jesus, to an eternal home in heaven." Truly blest are the dead which
die in the Lord. MEMBER.

COUNTY COURT - The following business was transacted on Monday: -
Demands were allowed against the county as follows:
B. LACKAMP, carpentering at county farm $7.00
Z. PRITCHET, clothing for paupers 4.50
J.O. WILLIAMS, clothing for paupers 8.80
C. SAEGER, plow for road district 7.50
J.C.S. ROTAN, coffin for pauper 6.00
H. MARX, delivery of poll-boxes 2.00
E. VOLLMAR, goods for jail 8.50
C.C. FLETCHER, county court justice 4.28
R. McCORMACK, county court justice 4.28
M.F. BYRNE, county court justice 5.56

Sunday afternoon about two o'clock a large smoke was seen just a little
southwest of town. All who noticed it thought it was made by some one
who had fired a brush pile. It proved, however, to have been the
dwelling of Mr. M. CHAMPNEY, and was entirely burnt to the ground
together with the entire contents. we haven't seen Mr. M. yet, but
learn that the cause was a defective flue, and having of course no
facilities to extinguish, and no help at hand, nothing was saved.
Insurance, $500, in the American of Chicago.

OBITUARY - HERRELL -- At the residence of her uncle, Nelson HUNT, near
Kimmswick, mo., on the 25th of November, Della HERRELL, daughter of Wm.
and Anne HERREL, aged nine years.
Her sickness was a long and painful one, and everything that love
and the tenderest care could do was done. but she has passed away where
we do not question, for we know she has gone home to God. And the
gentle voice that ever spoke in accents of kindness is now chanting the
anthems of heaven in praise to the Savior she loved; for young as she
was, she was not indifferent to the things pertaining to eternal life,
and the little hands that always assisted her "dearest Auntie" so
willingly are now sweeping a harp of gold. Let this thought console the
hearts of her bereaved one, and may they live nearer that God who
"giveth and taketh away," and who hath prepared a home for the good,
where sorrow and good, where sorrow and parting are unknown. A FRIEND.

KONERT -- Oct. 7, 1880, of short illness, Mary, daughter of Jos. and
Anna KONERT, near Maxville, aged 19 years.

FRIDAY, 24 DECEMBER 1880

The wife of HAYWOOD (colored) of this place died Monday, after a long
protracted illness of more than a year.

Mr. Arthur and Lucinda HENSLEY spent Saturday and Sunday with their brother.

The meeting closed here last night, and the closing scene was a
marriage. the contracting parties being Mr. Wm. BONGORT and Mrs.
Adaline ROSS. Their courtship was just one week in length. After the
ceremony, which was performed by Rev. Daniel SHIPMAN, congratulations
were in order, after which the new wedded pair proceeded to their home.
By the request of the minister the rattling of the old tin pans and
ringing of cow-bells was postponed until tonight, when "oh ye Gods!"
preserve our membrana temporis from bursting. Sounds of TIME.

Mrs. Jasper EOFF died last week, after a short illness.

A new girl arrived at Richard HOEKEN's this week, and another family is
made complete.

On the 8th inst., at the residence of the bride's father, Mr. S. Oscar
VAUGHN was married to Miss Nancy J. SMETZER, C.G. WARNE, Esq.,
officiating. After the ceremony the company spent the time in doing
justice to a bountiful and elegant repast, and tripping the light
fantastic to the bewitching music of the violin.

There was a ball one evening last week, north of Hillsboro, at a Widow
OGLE's, which was pretty numerously attended by youngs folks of the
neighborhood. During the evening a quarrel arose between Frank BOHNE
and Willis WILLIAMS, of Sandy, and they started out of the ball room to
"fight it out." When they got to the door WILLIAMS struck first, but
there seems to be a difference between the witnesses as to whether he
hit BOHNE or not. BOHNE then immediately struck WILLIAMS on the head,
knocking him senseless, and then proceeded to pound his face into a
jelly--WILLIAMS being too dead to cry enough, and the by-standers
showing no disposition to interfere. WILLIAMS was hauled home, and Dr.
AUERSWALD sent for to dress his wounds. He was badly cut up about the
head and face, the marks appearing to have been made by brass knucks.
BOHNE was arrested on a warrant issued by Esq. FRAZIER, but he waived an
examination and gave bond in the sum of $400, for his appearance at
circuit court.

Mr. William BANGERT was married to widow lady of Sulphur Springs last
Saturday. On Monday they had a wedding supper and dance.

Mr. James WHITE, formerly of De Soto, was married to Mrs. DAVIDSON, of
Windsor Harbor, last Sunday. Rev. Mr. HOLMES per-formed the ceremony.
Don't they go off like hot cakes? That's not all yet. More of it next
letter.

democr26

This thread: