ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2004-02 > 1075915694

From: Steven Dhuey <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Military service records
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:28:14 -0600
References: <>
In-Reply-To: <>

>I believe the pay records may be at Ft. Benjamin Harrison in Indiana. Sorry,
>I don't have exact address. I suggest a Google search. I would send them
>copies of what you have and ask for a complete copy of his pay record.

Fort Benjamin Harrison was closed in 1996.

>if he had any injuries while in the service he may have a Veterans
>Administration file.

From the Department of Veterans Affairs:

"The VA Records Center and Vault frequently gets calls and emails
from veterans seeking military or medical records. Unfortunately, we
are unable to assist because the records being sought are usually not
at this facility. While some VA Medical Center records are stored at
our facility, those records are stored by medical facility, not by
veteran's name, and cannot be released to individuals. Those records
must be requested through the medical center where you were treated."

Instead, the VA directs you to this table of where to find which
military service records:


This thread: