ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2004-07 > 1090539328

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Using Cemeteries/Mortuaries/Obituaries - LLCGS (Nebraska) Upcoming Meeting
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:35:28 EDT

I have been askied to post this to the lists which may find this of interest.

Upcoming Lincoln-Lancaster County Genealogical Society of Nebraska

Meeting Program for Aug. 10, 2004 - Using Cemeteries/Mortuaries/Obituaries -
Have you looked in every "death" record/resource in the area you are
researching? Don't miss this interesting August 10th meeting!

Cynthia "Call Ahead" Monroe is the presenter of the first two topics and Eva
Bachman will present the Funeral Home part. Ron Gaddis will be the moderator
and time keeper-bell
ringer.

Cemeteries...how do you find them if you are a woman....if you are a man (men
don't ask for directions)?

Preparations? What preparations? When is the best time to visit? Of the year?
Of the day? How do you find a headstone in 20 acres of....? What "supplies"
(other than a spouse) do you take with you to help read the inscriptions? "If
it is carved in stone, is it true?" Any follow-up after the visit?

Obituaries...how do you track them down? Where do you look? Hint...most were
in a newspaper. What newspaper? When did the death occur? What town papers
might have printed it? How do you find a copy. The county library, the internet,
the newspaper archives? Then the real work starts...8 grandchildren? I know of
only 3.

Funeral Homes...often mentioned in cemetery's written records and in
obituaries. Ah, yes, cemeteries do sometimes have written records you can examine! Who
bought the plot and who is in the lot? Funeral records can be brief, very
brief or more helpful than any death certificate. Is the home still active? If
not, where are the records now?

Come prepared to join in the discussion and bring sample records if you want
to share them. We will put them out on the tables and hope to benefit from
your experiences too!

This presentation will cover some of the "hidden" information you may find.
Presenters: Ron Gaddis, Eva Bachman

Meetings are at 7:15 p.m. on the second Tuesday of each month in the
Amphitheater, Dick Administration Bldg., Union College, 3800 S. 48th St., Lincoln, NE.

Take care, Kathie Harrison
Lancaster Co., NEGenWeb Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~nelancas/index.html

This thread: