ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2005-08 > 1124473092

From: "Kith-n-Kin" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Thumb drives
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 10:38:12 -0700

"Thumb drives" are small rectangular, sometimes "roundish" storage for computers. There are dozens of
types and capacities available, from say 124 megabytes to one gigabyte.

They attach to the computer via the USB port, and have pretty much replaced the 1.44 "floppy" disc, and
Zip disks for some folks.

A word of caution, if you plan to transport said data to another computer. Last year I took a bunch of
files of pictures to a friend on my thumb drive. He had, I recall, Windows 98 on his computer -- maybe
95. Anyway, even though he had a USB port, it wouldn't read the thumbdrive without adding a driver, and of
course I hadn't carried the CD with the drivers on it across the country.

So don't "assume" (we *all* know what happens when you do that! <G>) that all thumb drives will be read in
all computers.

Ain't technology great?

Pat (in Tucson)

> As mentioned previously, the little thumb drives are excellent for off
> computer backups. [...]

This thread: