ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2005-08 > 1125461472

From: "Jennifer Craig" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: ROOTS-L Digest V05 #396
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:11:12 -0600

"PATERNAL DISCREPANCY "; OR: Is DNA,... a "pseudo science"?
(snipped)

It does shake people up, that's for sure. We have a line of family descending from what is referred to as the "bastard line" and then there is the "pure" line -- which, by the way, crossed over and married one another during the next few decades/centuries. It all began in NY in the late 1600's -- a court record shows Debra testifying that her son was not her husband's. Boy did that open a can of worms.

Today, there is a movement among us to find out which line we all really belong to. However, I suspect that with the crossovers, mostly we're "horses of a different color" so to speak, anyway, but it makes for a great story just the same. I know for a fact that a much nearer relative wasn't in the line at all, because of other indiscretions (which he never knew about, and probably would be turning over in his grave, if he had). I think DNA testing is worth it ... just to ease the minds of those who need/want to know. There are some who are concerned for other reasons -- not as to whether DNA works but as to accuracy of data submitted.

For example, what about the issue of the chimera -- a person whose non-identical twin was merged with them, and they carry some genetic evidence of this twin, in their blood or other parts of their body. After much study and questioning, it was decided that they contained two different sets of DNA -- finally determining that there were two fertilized eggs that were fused so that the one person who was born had two sets of DNA. In those cases, it was possible that there was a Vanishing Twin. There have been some serious court cases where the mother's DNA did not match the child's and the child was believed to have been that of another woman. These women didn't fit the profile of a true Chimera so it caused anguish, time, money to prove otherwise. Does DNA work? Yes! If all the information is there. But what about the "other DNA" that wasn't found until scientists and lawyers dug deeper? It's just food for thought.

I still think it is one other means of evidence to add to the gene pool (genealogy pool, in this case).

This thread: