ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2005-11 > 1131448022

From: Carl Martin <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: those "hard nosed pilgrims"
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 05:07:02 -0600

Hi Joyce,

It's been many years since I opened a history book but when I went to
public schools back in the 1950's, that's what I remember reading;
that the early settlers came to America to have the freedom to worship
as they wished.

However, I recognize that the books used by the public schools are all
censored and only contain the words that the local state's government
desire to be in the books. If someone is doing genealogy research
and discovers a written piece of paper back in the times of the early
settlers, then I take that as evidence as how that one particular
person felt. Maybe it, the writings, did not apply to the entire
population; but maybe it did. The prisons back in the days of the
early settlers contained people who were in prison for crimes
committed against the government. Sure, a lot of the people in
prison were there because of religion but a lot were in prisons
because that killed someone or raped someone or committed other crimes
and we Americans inherited those criminals as well. In other words,
America today consist of the good, the bad and the ugly; not only
from England, but other countries as well.

Carl

This thread: