ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2005-11 > 1133123412

From: "Mary Villalba" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Re: Citizenship
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:30:12 -0700

Whoa....Wild Bill....that information is not accurate....Someone marrying a US citizen STILL needs to apply for citizenship in the US, and it is a complicated, long process...I know, my husband is Peruvian and we had to go through it. ALSO....I did NOT automatically become a Peruvian citizen. Again, I would have to apply for citizenship there.

My mother lived in this country for 50, married to my father, who was a US citizen, but she did not get her citizenship in the US. My father was NOT a citizen of Canada, and my sisters and I are NOT Canadian citizens (although that might be nice, too).

I can tell you, also, that if a Canadian married to a US citizen outlives the US spouse, the US government will tax the "H" out of any estate, as the spousal exemption for tax purposes does not apply. The property rights transfer, but the US govt. looks upon it as an opportunity to grab more money.....this also happened to my folk's estate......

thanks, m

Mary Villalba
AZTEC Communications
303-290-8415 Tele
Distinguished Governor
Rocky Mountain District Kiwanis International 2003-2004
"A global organization of volunteers, dedicated to changing the world, one child and one community at a time."

This thread: