ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2006-03 > 1142908136

From: Colleen <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Ancestry.com
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 19:28:56 -0700

I love ancestry.com. I know that many people think it is unfair for them to
charge for public information, but someone has to put all that information
into the databases and to do that with any amount of efficiency costs
money. I don't like paying a lot, either, but it would cost me much, much
more to go do the research in PA, since I live in Arizona.

Heritage Quest is offered at many libraries free to cardholders, and many
libraries offer home access to the database with your card number. Check
your library's website or call to see if yours offers this. I prefer
Ancestry.com's census records because they are so much easier to search.
Their indices, while not perfect, are much more comprehensive and take less
time to search. Especially for census years that are not indexed at all.

At the same time, Godfrey's and NewsBank's databases have helped me
tremendously, and I just rememberred that it's time to renew my
subscription. There are good reasons to get both if it is possible.

--
Colleen
www.omchodoy.blogspot.com

This thread: