ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2006-10 > 1161183616

From: "MScheffler" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Advertising Gen. Soc. resources
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 11:00:16 -0400

Hi Joan,

I don't know why serious researchers would not contact libraries and
historical societies for information on their ancestors whether it be
obituaries or cemetery transcriptions. The topic is certainly discussed
regularly on this and other rootsweb lists.

Hopefully, travelers who come through your community are at least
accessing the information.

My theory is that many people searching online simply want someone to
type back the information in a return email and make little effort to learn
the ins and outs of trying to learn to find things for themselves. The
reason probably goes to their thinking that why write that letter or make
that phone call if I can get someone living in that community to go to the
library and contact me in return.

Perhaps some of us reminding people about ins and outs of research more
frequently "might" give the people brand new to the process something to
think about.

Margaret Scheffler