ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2006-10 > 1161214851

From: "Fleta Aday" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Advertising Gen. Soc. resources
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 18:40:51 -0500

> Message: 14
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 06:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Joan Bancroft <>
> Subject: [ROOTS-L] Advertising Gen. Soc. resources
> To: Roots <>
>
> I belong to a Genealogical Society/Library in Paradise, California. It's
> in Butte Co.,and is about 10 miles from Oroville, the county seat. It is
> also about the same distance from Chico, the location of California State
> Univ., Chico. Needless to say, in addition to our Library's holdings, we
> have access to the Library at the University and to the records at the
> court house in Oroville.
>
> My question is this:
> On the Butte Co., Mail list, I have posted messages several times
> suggesting that people contact the Library about records they say they are
> searching for. They don't seem to pay any attention to these posts. I
> have answered people personally and suggested they contact the library and
> they don't respond.

I belong to our local Carroll Co. AR genealogy society. My full time job
and double time family left me little time to help out at the Society, so I
volunteered to be webmaster for a webpage for the Society. Rootsweb so
kindly gives us UNLIMITED space for our web files and many, many volunteers
have help us convert papers hardcopies to web content. We have a very
successful website and people from all over the US and beyond contact us
through the website to search our local records for them. Also, I and two
other volunteers watch the various local query boards (at rootsweb and
genforum) and the county mailing lists for research questions we can help
with. We do try to give actual research answers whenever we can, but
sometimes just make suggestions about who to contact or where to find
answers. Our Society and our Rootsweb website are both triving success
stories. Take a look for some ideas.

I am going to add that I have lived in the Ozark Mountains for 58 years, as
have many generations of my family, and I find I am a tad offended by
several suggestions on this list that incest occurrs more often in the
'mountains'. Would you not be taken aback if I were to suggest that incest
was more likely to occur where you live?

Fleta Powell Aday
CCHS Webmaster
http://www.rootsweb.com/~arcchs/

This thread: