ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2006-11 > 1162509841

Subject: [ROOTS-L] Trick or treat
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 18:24:01 EST

Hi,
When I was a kid in the '50s in central Ohio, the night before Oct.
31 was called Beggars Night. It was then that kids dressed up and went out to
collect their annual candy supply. The next night, Halloween itself, was
reserved for parties, when one also dressed up of course. Of course, not every kid
knew of, or got invited to, parties on that night.
To the best of my knowledge that is still how they do it there, but I
have no idea out to what radius from central Ohio it is done. An older cousin
from the Indianapolis area says events there occur on Oct. 31 only.
Dick in Las Vegas

This thread: