ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2007-03 > 1173144082

From: "Trevia W Beverly" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Slave Owners ++++ names
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 19:21:22 -0600

<<< the Palmers -- who can be found after the Civil War, with the same
given names as the former owners (presumably) on the censuses, and ... >>>

Anyone researching black families, remember that while we most often think
that a former slave took the name of his master --- not always. Often they
took the name of someone prominent in the community, someone who had
befriended them or someone in public office that they admired - not wanting
to remember the time when they were enslaved.

Two excellent books to begin with is "A Genealogists' Guide to Discovering
Your African-American Ancestors" by Franklin Carter Smith & Emily Anne Croom
(Betterway Books) and Oryx Press' American Family Tees Series - "A Student's
Guide to African American Genealogy" by Anne E. Johnson and Adam Merton
Cooper.

And don't forget slave narratives --- you may think it unlikely that your
slave family had the opportunity to tell his story but you may be surprised
that he did.

Trevia Wooster Beverly
Houston, Texas