ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2007-08 > 1187539998

From: "Kathie Harrison" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Nara Fees
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:13:18 -0500

I am glad that I got Civil War pension records on several of my dead
kin before the increase in fees at NARA. Some of us are on a very
limited budget yet we spend what we can for our record keeping.

I realize that many researching today were doing it before computers
but there are some of us who are disabled and yes even on Social
Security Disability which does NOT give us a whole lot of money for
the "extras" like paying high fees for copies of records that ARE
public records. I am one of those people and I am a taxpayer like the
rest of you.

I am not asking for a "Free Lunch". I pay like everyone else does for
research but I also have been lucky to find others willing to help me
for a low fee to get some of the records I need copies of. Not
everyone is lucky enough for that.

Why should anyone else think we expect a free lunch when we actually
don't? Why condemn us for not having the money and ability to travel
to do what we love to do? We have the right to question the high
increase of these fees. JMVHO.
--
Take care, Kathie Harrison
Ancestral Whispers