ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2008-01 > 1200437174

From: "Bob" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Family History
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:46:14 -0800

** Reply to message from on Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:11:01 -0700

> Of course you can house your family tree anywhere you want to--and your own
> personal website is always a good place to post information. However, if you
> are rejecting the idea of additionally uploading a family tree to RootsWeb's
> WorldConnect because you think you would need to ASK RootsWeb to change it
> (or even delete it for that matter) you are mistaken.

I have to disagree with your statement.

My data was on Rootsweb for several years. Ancestry changed some of their
policies. The consequence of which was that I could no longer update my data.
In fact I could not delete my data and the only response I got from Rootsweb
was that is too bad. They did not care enough to get the problem fixed. I
definitely do not recommend using either Rootsweb or Ancestry for keeping your
data.

I had my data on Rootsweb before Ancestry bought them. I was a donor to
Rootsweb but there were not enough donors so they were either going to go out
of business or be bought out, Ancestry bought them out. Too many people want
everything free and will not donate so we end up in the position we have today.

--
Robert Blair

This thread: