ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2008-01 > 1200480482

From: Neal Underwood <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Family History
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 04:48:02 -0600

According to my reading of the FAQ's at:

http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/questions.html#gedcom

http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
faqid=1090
http://ancestry.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestry.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_
faqid=1250
this is the situation regarding family trees:

1. All user-submitted family trees at Ancestry/Rootsweb have come from one
of three origins: Ancestry World Tree, Ancestry Online Family Tree or
Rootsweb World Connect. This reflects the website through which the tree
was originally submitted.

2. At some point all trees were merged into one master database (ca. Oct
2001?). It is this same database which is viewed from either Rootsweb or
Ancestry.

3. Ownership/origin of each tree is uniquely identified by a "user code"
e.g. "JonesTree" or "Jones123" or "123456" etc.

4. This code appears within the URL's that access the tree:

http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=JonesTree
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=JonesTree&id=I00210
http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=JonesTree&id=I281

5. A prefix to the user code identifies the origin of the tree:
- If the code begins with a colon, it was originally uploaded through
the Ancestry.com website.
-- If the code begins with a colon followed by an "a" it was originally
uploaded through Ancestry World Tree; e.g. :aJonesTree or :aJones123 or
:a123456
-- If there is no "a" after the colon, it was uploaded through Ancestry
Online Family Tree; e.g. :JonesTree or :Jones123 or :123456
- If there is no colon prefix, it was originally uploaded from Rootsweb
World Connect.

6. Edit or removal of a family tree must be done through the site it was
originally submitted through, using the appropriate user logon ID and
password. Detail steps at the above links.
- Ancestry World Tree (removal only): Call Ancestry.com customer service
- Ancestry Online Family Tree (edit/removal): www.ancestry.com
- Rootsweb WorldConnect (edit/removal): www.rootsweb.com

Ancestry World Tree files cannot be edited. They cannot be removed by the
owner online. Removal must be done through Ancestry customer service and
will take a number of days to take effect.

7. The above is per their website pages. Things may have changed and they
did not bother to update or tell anyone.

8. The overall Rootsweb WorldConnect Help Page index is at:
http://helpdesk.rootsweb.com/FAQ/wcindex.html

9. None of the above links or anything else I could find within the family
tree sections mentions OneWorldTree. Ancestry apparently took it upon
themselves to absorb these user-submitted family trees into OneWorldTree
without telling anyone in advance. Apparently no way to correct those
"trees." That situation speaks for itself.

10. I never uploaded a tree to either site. I publish on my own web site.
I never trusted Ancestry. Apparently with good reason.

>Message: 6
>Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:21:17 -0800
>From: "Kirsten Bowman" <>
>Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Family History
>To: "Bob" <>, <>
>
>Robert:
>
>I believe you are both right and wrong here, and clarification would be good
>to prevent others from getting an incorrect impression.
>
>When you post a tree to RootsWeb you can always update or remove it. As far
>as I know, that has always been the case. Ancestry.com does, however, have
>access to that database and reserves the right to use it as they see fit.
>They did use the RootsWeb trees among others to build the computer-compiled
>OneWorldTree some years ago. For whatever reason, data in OneWorldTree
>cannot be changed or removed either by the submitters or by RootsWeb or
>Ancestry.com. It's set in "stone" and Ancestry.com has not updated it for
>several years. Now it is about to be removed from the Internet altogether.
>
>When anyone posts, searches, or questions trees at RootsWeb or Ancestry.com
>it's important to be clear on exactly where you're uploading and/or what
>you're looking at--whether it's WorldConnect, an Ancestry.com personal
>(private) or public tree, OneWorldTree, or AncestryWorldTree. All have
>different parameters.
>
>Kirsten

This thread: