ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2008-06 > 1213811884

From: "Cecelia" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] ROOTS Digest, Vol 3, Issue 359 Black Hand
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:58:04 -0500

That sounds familiar.
In my home town, the Masonic Lodge was very anti Catholic.
One Sunday, when I was a kid, a group of people from either the Seventh Day
Adventists or Jehovah Witness came to town. After church, all the women and
children were told to stay at home, do not go outside. The men of the town
used firehoses to force those people to leave the park. Afterward, they
laughed, but, later, were silent about it. I always thought that was not a
very Christian thing to do, especially seeing that they had all just been to
church.
The KKK was still active in our area of Texas, when I was a kid. They used
their group to intimidate black people. It was all pretty secret, but I
feel like that some of the prominent men, including Jews and Catholics, were
among that group. We didn't have many of those groups, but they were pretty
well accepted into every thing in town.
As children, we wondered what they did that was different. There was no
local synagogue, but there was a tiny Catholic church, that was always
shuttered. We were scared to go near that church. It was all very
mysterious. I was grown before I ever peeked inside a broken shutter. It
was dark so I didn't learn anything. Later, I converted. I tried to call
attention to preserving that little church. Efforts were made, but now the
church is no longer used.

Cecelia

> Does anyond know of or have heard of The Black Hand. I think they were
> supposed to be a bunch of well to do men who threatened other people who
> were
> trying to open up business's probably in the early 1900's. I have heard of
> them
> in Penna. Peggy F

This thread: