ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2009-12 > 1260799643

Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] pronouncing local dialects--how to speak Mainer("Main-ah")
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:07:23 EST

That's a great description! We lived in Boston ("Besotten" to the locals,
ha ha) for years and are very familiar with this wonderful dialect. What a
rich diversity of language we boast as a nation.

I'm wondering if this particular dialect is related to the area's history
of predominantly English settlement? I think the "ayuh" response (which I
find immensely expressive, sometimes even more than a full sentence) could
have evolved from the British "ay/ aye" which I don't know how to spell.

Any thoughts on the linguistic derivation of the "Boston accent?"

Lani Friend

This thread: