ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2010-11 > 1288818701

From: "Kith-n-Kin" <>
Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Children whose parents are not married
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 14:11:41 -0700

Having not used FTM for years, I don't know if they've tweaked the system,
but here's what I use as a rule of thumb.

Of course, I use "the Master Genealogist" (TMG) which allows for all sorts
of tags to describe various events.

First, with the child.

You put the child in as a "child of" one of the parents (presumably the one
already in the database).

FROM the child, you put "add parent" (or whatever it says) and add the
second parent. At this point there is no "relationship" between the two
parents.

IF you have to put in a relationship some way, I would use "partner" which
includes any grouping of people who are not "married."

The "non-parent" here, by the way, has no say in any of this. A database is
designed to store facts, not feelings nor opinions. However, this child will
not show up under the "non-parent"'s tree unless you have made some kind of
relationship between the two.

IF the "non-parent" spouse is acting as a parent, or step-parent, then that
relationship is entered as well. Most programs are not yet quite
sophisticated to include all this in reports, as the programs are basically
genetically based programs.

Technically, this problem also happens with adopted children when the
bio-parents are known.

This is not a new problem. I've had the problem with widow/widowers children
and a "new" step-parent in the household that doesn't show up as I would
like in reports. And, we have a foster-son who doesn't automatically show up
on reports, yet we wish to include him, and his family, in any reports. So,
he has his bio-family in the database, and he is linked to us as a
foster-child, but I have to do a separate report for his family and "cut and
paste" it into "our" report.

We are hopeful that as "genealogy" truly becomes more "family history" these
glitches will be overcome.

Hope this helps.

Pat
In Tucson