ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2011-02 > 1297362450

From: Joe <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] Some Cool Genealogy Stuff You May Not Know About
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:27:30 -0700

Here are some genealogy tips you might find useful...

Are You Looking for Death Records?
Searching for U.S. Death Records - A Brief Overview
Discusses obituaries, cemetery burial records, death certificates, probate records...
http://genrootsblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/searching-for-death-records-brief.html
Or:
http://goo.gl/SMFOp

Free U.S. Census Records!
Not everything is available for free, but you might be surprised what is...
http://www.researchguides.net/census/free.htm
Or:
http://goo.gl/qnPla

Are You Looking for the Ship That Brought Your Ancestor to the USA?
Search Strategies for Finding Ship Passenger Lists 1820-1940s
http://genrootsblog.blogspot.com/2009/05/search-ship-passenger-lists-records.html
Or:
http://goo.gl/LDehm

Are You Looking for Genealogy Records Online?
12 Cool Places to Find Your Ancestors Online (USA)
http://fairangels.posterous.com/12-cool-places-to-find-your-ancestors-online
Or:
http://goo.gl/1wzpa

Alternative U.S. Census Records
Did you know there are some census records available besides the once-a-decade federal census? And a few states have them for 1885 or 1895, which can sometimes be helpful because of that pesky missing 1890 federal census.
Genealogy Research Guide - State Census Records
http://www.researchguides.net/census/state.htm
Or:
http://goo.gl/b278y

Do You Have German Ancestors?
The German Genealogy Records Series
Includes "Tips for Finding Your German Immigrant Ancestor's Hometown in Germany," "Tips for Finding German Genealogy Records for Your German-American Ancestor," and "How I Found Some Genealogy Records for My German Ancestors."
http://fairangels.posterous.com/the-german-genealogy-records-series
Or:
http://goo.gl/7sjTP

Ellis Island? Castle Garden? Which One? And When? And What About the Barge Office?
http://genrootsblog.blogspot.com/2006/07/ellis-island-castle-garden-which-one.html
Or:
http://goo.gl/39BIu

Feel free to share any or all of this with other genealogy mailing lists, forums or blogs you like.

Happy searching!

Regards,
Joe

This thread: