ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2011-03 > 1298994210

From: "kdka" <>
Subject: [ROOTS-L] spelling of Polish names
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:43:30 -0600

I am trying to help a relative trace their tree which includes a documented name change. The original name was Kwiecikowski (Kwietkowski and other spellings) which was changed to Foster in documented 1935. However, I cannot find a Erwin Ronald Kwiecikowski or any other spellings in the early 1900's census. Perhaps Erwin was an Americanized version of his given name. Other family members did Americanize their Polish names - Ludwig to Louis, for example). I have been using Ancestry.com and getting no place fast.
What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions for me please? Erwin was born in 1906 and lived in the Buffalo, New York area.

This thread: