ROOTS-L Archives

Archiver > ROOTS > 2011-05 > 1304635644

Subject: Re: [ROOTS-L] Revolutionary War Bounty Land
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 18:47:24 EDT

The book Revolutionary War Bounty Land Grants Awarded by State Governments
by Lloyd DeWitt Bockstruck DOES list several Fletchers with service in NC
who received Bounty Land Grants...but no Reuben. William is in the book. He
was a Sergeant. On 26 Apr. 1784 he received 1000 acres. There are also:
Thomas Fletcher, Robert Fletcher, Joshua Fletcher, Joseph Fletcher (land
grant to heirs), Jeremiah Fletcher (land grant to heirs). NC Soldiers had to
serve a minimum of 2 years to receive bounty land grants and the service had
to be in the North Carolina Continental Line--no militia duty was allowed
even if that duty was performed under Continental orders.

The bounty lands were in Tennessee bordered by the Holston River, the
Powell River, and the Virginia state line. However, settlement of some of this
land by others prior to implementation of the bounty land policy resulted
in some/many soldiers being assigned land in middle Tennessee south of the
Kentucky border.

Joan

In a message dated 5/5/2011 6:01:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,